On Jan. 11, the Knight Commission presented details about its C.A.R.E. Model (Connecting Athletics Revenues with the Educational Model of College Sports) that provides an important and essential shift to a new financial framework. This new framework emphasizes the authority conferences have to more closely connect the distribution and spending of billions in shared athletics revenue distributions with the broad educational mission of NCAA Division I college athletics programs.
The implementation of the C.A.R.E. Model is boosted by the Commission’s new Division I Conference grant program, providing grants from a pool of $100,000 in 2024 to conferences that implement four essential principles.
- Session Slides (PDF)
- Video Recording
- CARE Model Conference Grant Application and Implementation Template Available Feb. 1, 2023 (will be shared directly with DI Commissioners)
- C.A.R.E. Model Report and Resources
- Amy Huchthausen, Knight Commission member, Chief Operating Officer, Stavvy
- Jonathan Mariner, Knight Commission member, Former Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Major League Baseball
- Sandy Hatfield Clubb, Knight Commission consultant, Managing Director of Strategic Initiatives
- Jonathan Mariner, Knight Commission member
- Todd Turner, Knight Commission consultant and Founder & President, Collegiate Sports Consultants
- Amy Privette Perko, CEO, Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics