Finances of College Sports
In an effort to strengthen financial transparency, the Knight Commission produces information to describe the financial landscape of Division I college sports. One of the resources is the College Athletics Financial Information (CAFI) database for Division I public institutions.
Watch this 3 minute video tutorial on how to use the database:
Below are additional resources that describe “where the money comes from,” “where the money goes” and “how the money has changed” in Division I college sports:
- Overview of Finances for DI Publics
- Overview of Finances of DI Privates
- Overview of How the Money Has Changed
Information on the College Football Playoff, its revenue distribution and the Knight Commission’s proposed changes can be found here:
- College Football Playoff (CFP) Distributions for 2019
- Overview of Distributions for the College Football Playoff and recommended Knight Commission changes
Assessment of Intercollegiate Athletics Financial Reporting, March 2020
This report was completed by Collegiate Financial Partners, LLC with support from the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics to conduct nonpartisan analysis, study and research and prepare an educational document on the subject of the reporting obligations applicable to college sports financing.