For Public Release
November 8, 2023
JoJo Rinebold: email@example.com
On Friday, November 17, 2023, at Marriott Marquis in Washington, D.C., the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics will examine the future financial landscape, with the influx of billions of dollars through the expanded CFP, and the unique opportunity university presidents, athletics directors, and conference commissioners now have to put big-revenue college sports on a better path. Knight Commission solutions will be discussed, including recommendations to overhaul the CFP and NCAA governing structures and to devote more resources directly to college athletes’ education, health, safety, success, and equity.
To attend the public meeting in-person or virtually, register here.
Access to the press conference requires a separate registration here.
WHERE: Marriott Marquis, Capitol Room, 900 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington, D.C. 20001
WHEN: Friday, November 17, 9:00 – 10:30 a.m. ET (public session)
Press Conference: 12:30 – 1:00 p.m. ET
The press conference is open to media and others, in-person or virtually. Media will be able to ask questions of the Knight Commission leadership.
Public session to include:
- Members of the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics
- Damon Evans, Barry P. Gossett Director of Athletics, University of Maryland
- Kelleigh Fagan, Partner, Sports Law and Higher Education Services, Church Church Hittle + Antrim Law; [Note: Fagan co-authored a report provided to the Knight Commission on May 20, 2021, on the Title IX implications of its proposed new governing entity for the sport of FBS football. The report’s executive summary is here.
- Kevin White, Vice President/Director of Athletics, Emeritus and Professor of Practice, The Fuqua School of Business, Duke University
Press Conference to include:
- Pamela Bernard, Vice President & General Counsel, Duke University
- Arne Duncan, former U.S. Secretary of Education, Knight Commission co-chair
- Len Elmore, attorney and former NBA player, Knight Commission co-chair
- Amy Privette Perko, CEO, Knight Commission
WHAT: Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics’ public meeting
Follow @KnightAthletics for the latest developments from this meeting. Photographs available for media use and highlights from the meeting will be posted on this page following the event.
About the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics
The Knight Commission, founded by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation in 1989, is an independent group that leads transformational change to prioritize college athletes’ education, health, safety, and success. For more information about the Commission’s impact, recommendations, and reports, visit knightcommission.org.
About the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation
Knight Foundation is a national foundation with strong local roots. We invest in journalism, in the arts and in the success of cities where brothers John S. and James L. Knight once published newspapers. Our goal is to foster informed and engaged communities, which we believe are essential for a healthy democracy. For more, visit kf.org.